Magnolia bark extract is a fluid alcohol extracted from the bark of a magnolia plant and frequently administered as an herbal medicine. It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine called houpu or hou po for hundreds of years, and it is recognized worldwide for its medicinal properties. This extract is used to treat a variety of conditions and symptoms, especially upset stomach, allergic reactions, impaired breathing, anxiety, weight loss, and halitosis. The active ingredients in the medicine are present in almost all species of magnolia, but the Magnolia officinalis, or Houpu magnolia, is the most frequently used.
1. Magnolia bark extract is used for curing weight loss, constipation, inflammation.
2. It is also used for treating problems with digestion, stress, depression, anxiety.
3. This extract can also be used to treat fever, headache, stroke and asthma.
4. Magnolia Flowers bark extract is used for stuffy and runny nose, sinus pain, hay fever, common cold and also for removing dark spots on face.
5. It can also be applied for preventing toothache in gums.
6. It can also apply directly on skin and used for skin whitening, reducing skin irritation.
7. Magnolia flower extract helps in decreasing nervous tension, anxiety and improve sleep.
8. It is also used in obesity treatments, intestinal problem treatments, loss of appetite, gastro-enteritis, diarrhea and vomiting.
9. This extract can also be used to treat diabetes.
10. Magnolia Flower extract helps in treatment of Alzheimer disease.
Side Effects & Safety
Magnolia is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth or applied as a toothpaste, short-term. Magnolia has been taken by mouth for up to 6 weeks and used in a toothpaste for up to 6 months.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking magnolia flower bud by mouth is UNSAFE during pregnancy. There are reports that Magnolia can cause the uterus to contract and that might cause a miscarriage.
Not enough is known about the safety of using magnolia during breastfeeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Surgery: Magnolia can slow down the central nervous system. There is a concern that it might slow down the nervous system too much when combined with anesthesia and other medications used during and after surgery. Magnolia might also slow blood clotting and cause bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using magnolia at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
For those goals related to learning or depression, suggests a human dose of:
*160-330 mg for a 150lb person
*220-440 mg for a 200lb person
*270-550 mg for a 250lb person
The above does refer to the total neolignans (usually magnolol plus honokiol).