Resveratrol is a naturally occurring phytoalexin produced by some higher plants in response to injury or fungal infection. Phytoalexins are chemical substances produced by plants as a defense against infection by pathogenic microorganisms, such as fungi. Alexin is from the Greek, meaning to ward off or to protect. Resveratrol may also have the alexin-like activity for humans. Epidemiological, in vitro and animal studies, suggest that a high resveratrol intake is associated with a reduced incidence of cardiovascular disease and a reduced risk for cancer.
- To increase sperm secretion and stimulate sexual desire
- To have antiarrhythmic action and to relieve asthma
- To lower blood pressure and relax vascular smooth
- To dry dampness and kill worms
- To expel cold and the wind, to warm the kidney and strengthen the yin